Pretty Impressed!

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 26 14:41:47 EDT 2004

Hey all,

	I've been avoiding GnuCash with the thought that double-entry accounting
would be way too hard to pick up. I used to track my finances in MSMoney a
few years ago, but clobbered my PC and had no backups. What a great thing. So
I decided to not do that. I then tracked them online for a while, but thought
twice about having all my accounts linked together online. That didn't seem
like the best choice. I've used a different package for a while, and started
getting my financial info together again.

	I decided to try GnuCash (again). I exported my stuff from January 2004 to
current into QIF files, and imported them into GnuCash. It wasn't hard at all
following the wizards to set up my Asset accounts (checking, savings). It
took a little longer moving from categories to expense accounts - but that
wasn't really hard either. I've been doing OFX imports to keep current,
haven't tried manually entering data. That will be the next step.

	Trying to figure out the loan druid. I have a few loans I set up in a
different package and imported. I messed them up a bit - so might have to
back them out and re-enter them. So - things to learn are:
	loans
	investments
	fixed assets (house, cars)

	Just wanted to say that I am impressed. I've been reading the documentation
bit by bit, trying to get an understanding of it. Hope to get there soonish.