Reconcilliation Woes

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Fri Apr 8 04:10:23 EDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:26:19PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   When I go through the account register window and change the 'R' field
>   from
> 'n' to 'c' for each deposit and withdrawal that has shown up on a statement,
> I then use the menu for Actions -> Reconcile and up pops the list widgets
> window. All the debits that I marked cleared are noted with a checkmark in
> the 'R' column. Same with credits. However, the cleared total does not match
> the amount on the last statement and the balance is off by a couple of
> hundred dollars. I manually fix that so the difference shows as $0.00, then
> run "final."

Hi,

I don't personally use the reconcile feature (yet) but something
I'd recommend trying is using View->sort Order->Amount and scrolling to
the amount by which it does not match, and double checking to make
sure that all transactions in that amount range are properly
recorded as cleared (or not as the case may be).

This is less useful if multiple transactions are recorded incorrectly,
but sometimes the linear combination of them will make sense -- for
example an cleared difference of $675 from your bank statement, and
an improperly marked cleared next month's rent check for $700 along
with a long-uncashed but accidently marked-cleared check to the
paperboy for $25.

If it is off by the same amount every month, I'd be more suspicious
of older transactions, and if it's usually off by the same amount, but
sometimes off by more, I'd double-check transactions for that amount
in the most recent month first.

This doesn't fundamentally help your problem if gnucash is off, but
it's something to try.

--Beth