Reconcilliation Woes

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 8 09:44:18 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Beth Leonard wrote:

> I don't personally use the reconcile feature (yet) but something I'd
> recommend trying is using View->sort Order->Amount and scrolling to the
> amount by which it does not match, and double checking to make sure that
> all transactions in that amount range are properly recorded as cleared (or
> not as the case may be).

Beth,

   I don't intend to look snitty, but I've been balancing and reconcilling
checkbooks for decades; more than four of them as a matter of fact. I do know
how to track down errors.

   Generally, when the balance in the check register (paper or digital)
matches the ending balance that the bank shows for that statement period, one
can assume that each transaction has been correctly entered in the register.
This is the case here. For the past year, manual reconciliation of the paper
register with the bank statement has been without discrepancy. Since the
gnucash transaction register shows the same current balance (with the same
debits and credits marked as cleared as are on the paper register), it is
reasonable to assume that there would also be no discrepancy when running the
reconciliation function.

   But, there is. Therefore, my question.

Rich

--