Reconcilliation Woes

Richard Gilligan gilligan at pobox.com
Tue Apr 12 15:28:44 EDT 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I've not been able to get the checking account reconcilliation to
> work
> properly over the past couple of years. This afternoon I re-read
> Section 4.5
> of the online help manual, but that contains discrepancies in what I
> see on
> the screen and it still leaves the reconcilliation dialog box out of
> balance.
>
>   My paper check register and gnucash balance with the latest bank
> statement.
> That is, my balance is what the bank shows after adding in uncleared
> deposits
> and subtracting uncleared checks.
>
>   When I go through the account register window and change the 'R'
> field from
> 'n' to 'c' for each deposit and withdrawal that has shown up on a
> statement,
> I then use the menu for Actions -> Reconcile and up pops the list
> widgets
> window. All the debits that I marked cleared are noted with a
> checkmark in
> the 'R' column. Same with credits. However, the cleared total does not
> match
> the amount on the last statement and the balance is off by a couple of
> hundred dollars. I manually fix that so the difference shows as $0.00,
> then
> run "final."

What do you do to "manually fix" this?

Is the balance always off by the same amount?

If you do View->sort Order->Statement Date do you see any unreconciled
transactions at the top that are not in your current statement period?

I have been using reconcile on several accounts for a few years now.
Eventually, I have always been able to get the balances to agree.

-RGG