Net assets

Andrew Dunkin Andrew.Dunkin at fire.nsw.gov.au
Thu Apr 21 10:09:44 EDT 2005

Thanks for all the detailed help Derek.
I am new to using an internet forum of this type.
Q1) Would I be correct in saying that this type of forum is defined as a
"user group"?
I received the message about CCing the GnuCash user list with replies,
this leads me to believe I need to educate myself on how such "user
groups(?)" operate. Any hints regarding, or references to how these
forums work generally would be helpful.

I noticed that the first few times you responded to my emails and I
replied by selecting "reply to sender" in my mail program's GUI, an
email was sent to you at your personal email address. However when
selecting "reply to sender" for your last email, my mail program placed
<gnucash-user at gnucash.org> in the "To:" field.
Even though my mail program lists your personal email address as the
sender of the last email I received, my "reply to sender" button placed
the <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> address in the "To:" field this time.
Q2) How did you make this happen?
Q3) Should I have been replying to <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> each time
I responded OR replying to your personal email address AND CCing the
reply to <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>?
Andrew

>>> warlord at MIT.EDU 04/20/05 11:52 AM >>>

PLEASE CC THE GNUCASH-USER LIST ON ALL REPLIES!!!!!

"Andrew Dunkin" <Andrew.Dunkin at fire.nsw.gov.au> writes:

> Thanks again,
> Would it then be correct to say that GNUcash does not look upon an
asset
> in the form of a commodity as having $ value, and that only cold hard
> cash in the bank is counted towards "Net Assets $"? This seems
> counterintuitive to me (a non accountant). A stock has a $ value as
far
> as I can see.
> Andrew

No, it would not be correct to say that.  It would be correct to say
that the Net Assets bar only looks at one commodity at a time and
ignores everything else.  It's not telling you your current net worth,
it's telling you how many assets you have OF A PARTICULAR COMMODITY.
It tells you how many USD, AUD, CAD, or shared of SUNW you have, and
that is all it does.

-derek