Giving up on Gnucash

Stephen Fisher slfshare at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 22:40:53 EDT 2005

Have followed this thread for the past couple days, I am very
disappointed.

In my opinion Rod started this thread raising some very good issues,
specifically that: gnucash is not terribly user friendly, lacks some
key functionality, and needs a gui overhaul. All very valid points.
There have been a few good responses to his note, but unfortunately far
too many in my opinion have trod the familiar path of too many
gu=nucash threads. It the first sign of criticism the community goes on
the attack: how dare you criticize this fantastic free software, how
dare you question the fine volunteers slaving away in their free time
on the project, and the when all else fails lets beat the dead horse
again debate on the merits of double entry book keeping. All of which
entirely misses the point. Rod wants an easy to use, user friendly,
reasonably featured accounting solution to manage his finances. gnucash
in its present form is not the answer for him. In explaining why he
hoped it would help those coding gnucash to improve the product. I few
respondents got it. Sadly, many have not.

For all the fanaticism out there about gnucash and I would say linux in
general, until the community grasps that the user not the coder is the
most important link in development, linux will continue to be a
marginal operating system. 99% percent of computer users simply want
their software to be attractive, easy to use, instantly understandable,
consistent, and competitively featured. They don't care how its coded,
why or by whom. Like electricty--when they turn it on, It just has too
work. So in this vein, lets thank Rod for his input and recognize that
as a user, particularly one who has found gnucash wanting, his input is
a very valuable sense check on current state gnucash and where it is
heading.

To those coding gnucash, keep up the good work. I await your future
efforts.

To Rod, thanks for input.