A response from the trenches

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 24 22:55:32 EDT 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:

>>Um, I'd like to know what "basic accounting features" gnucash does not
>>provide "that a business might expect".  I've been running my business
>>finances on gnucash for three years.
>>
>>Perhaps it's valid to say that it doesn't have the features that YOUR
>>business needs, but what you said above just isn't true.  We have
>>plenty of business users of gnucash to prove that what you say isn't
>>true.

I suppose it depends what you mean by both "basic" and "accounting
feature". Personally, I'd like to see the ability to use cash accounting
rather than accrual accounting for business income and business taxes. I
can't really convert our business fully to gnucash unless that happens.

>>So, no, gnucash is not just a personal accounting package.
>>
>>And now for something completely different....
>>
>>Previously in this thread someone talked about tone of comments and
>>how the tone of the request affects those of us close to the project.
>>What harm can a harsh comment make?
>>
>>Well, it's certainly no way to motivate me.  I'm actually more
>>motivated by a cry for help than a "you suck and here's why!" or even
>>a "I'm leaving you and here's why."  I'd rather someone say "hey,
>>thanks for the hard work, but, how can I get gnucash to do ___."  The
>>former two makes me feel unappreciated.  Think about it from my side
>>-- what do I get out of my work on Gnucash?  The only thing I get out
>>of it is appreciation.  When you take that away (like you did starting
>>this thread) it's an EXTREME demotivator.
>>
>>In fact, this whole thread has turned me off.  Honestly I've barely
>>read it because it's been too painful.  And frankly I feel little
>>incentive to try to work to fix the original poster's "issues",
>>regardless of how real they are.  Seriously..  Why should I help you?
>>You don't care how I feel or what I've put in, so why should I care
>>what YOU have to say (even if you do have some valid points).

It's taken me several days of reading this thread to decide to put my 2
cents in. As a sometime developer I can appreciate how pissed off some
of the comments might have made you and the other workers on the
project. Even some of the appreciative responses would have been pretty
annoying...

>>For the record, I've seriously considered charging for GnuCash Tech
>>Support.  "You want Derek to respond?  Send him $50 by Paypal for each
>>question you have."  It's threads like this that make me seriously
>>consider it.  Why?  It makes me feel unappreciated.  And yes, a few
>>bad apples can definitely spoil the bunch.   :(
>>
>>To whomever started this thread, assuming you're still reading: I'm
>>sorry you're unhappy, and I wish you luck in whatever you do.  I also
>>hope you're happy with the results of your "goodbye wishes".
>>
>>Siyonara.
>>
>>-derek

Keep up the good work guys, we luvs ya all!

Derrick