Struggling with vendor payments

Andrew Greig algreig at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 3 08:40:41 EDT 2005

Maf. King wrote:

>On Tuesday 26 Jul 2005 12:28, Andrew Greig wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>

>Hi, I'm in the UK, and IANAA, so keep an eye out for things (like GST) which
>probably work differently under Australian law.
>

>>Initially I entered each of my parking receipts as a separate 'invoice",
>>but I found the process of always having to "search" for the same vendor
>>was tedious, so now I have lumped them all into one invoice with docket
>>numbers on the different dates, and I "pay" them at the end of the month
>>out of petty cash, whereas in fact I put the money in the meter on each
>>particular day.  Is ther any way to short cut this continual search for
>>the same vendor?  If I have 15 items from the same vendor, is there a
>>"Save & Next" facility to speed up my data entry?
>>

>Personally, I don't work like this.  I use the "Vendor" system for Accounts
>Payable - ie bills which need payment at a later date, not regular small cash
>expenses.
>
>Following your example of parking charges, I would record those as a direct
>expense from petty cash.  That way, you will get tab-completion in the
>register window.  If your parking charge is the same day-to-day, then you
>will save loads of typing!  GST is done as a split - you will have to
>calculate that manually, if it not shown on your parking receipt.

Hi Maf, et al
I have unposted and deleted all of the expenses which should have been
entered through petty cash as you suggested.  But now I can find no
reference in the help file regarding use of petty cash.  Could you
explain your process to me please? IANAA either.

I know the learning curve will flatten out sometime soon.

Many thanks

Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia