Recovered account gets long file-name

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Aug 16 05:17:21 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 Aug 2005 09:22, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 15 Aug 2005 22:38, Maf. King wrote:
> > On Monday 15 Aug 2005 20:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I must have damaged my last accounts save when I upgraded my distro
> > > and copied the data across, and I had to open the previous version and
> > > re-enter last few records - not a big problem.  However, the saved
> > > file now has a
> > > name
> > > /path/businessname.20050612154751.xac.20050727163617.xac.2005081520432
> > >7.xac
> > >
> > > I presume that this should not be so.  What do you recommend to tidy
> > > it up?
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > How about File->Save As....
>
> Both obvious suggestions.  The problem was that I assume that the numbers
> in the extension are timestamps, and I didn't know how to 'save as' with a
> recognisable timestamp.  Presumably if I do it the way Derek suggested I
> will be using a temporary file just long enough to do this, and the next
> save will put the genuine timestamp on it.
>
> Anne

Hi Anne.

you don't need a timestamp. the timestamps are added to the _backup_ file by
GC at every save of the main data file.

So, if your file is accounts.xac, then accounts.xac.<timestamp>.xac is a
backup from the save done at <timestamp>.  That way, you can farly easily
roll your accounts back to eg last thursday, by looking at the timestamp of
the backup file.

FYI, as far as I can see, the timestamp is of the format YYYYMMDDhhmmss

Cheers,
Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542