Compiling gnucash on SuSE 9.3 (was Re: 1.8.10+ on Suse 9.3 or release import/export?

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Sat Aug 20 16:36:19 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 15:45 -0700, C S wrote:
> Thomas, thanks for the great help.  I'm up and
> running, and yes my profit to P&L cross-foots, despite
> some issues.
>
> Guppi was a little tough.  I first removed 1.8.9 and
> 1,8.10 to cleanup RPM only to find the Guppi RPM hard
> to find. I then reinstalled 1.8.9 to get Guppi.
> Reinstalling 1.8.9 didn't harm the RPM database once
> 1.8.11 was laid in.  Tried to stick with 9.3 RPM's
> whenever I could find them.
>
> For those interested I tried to summarize what I did
> below:
>
> PACKAGES TO INSTALL (Suse release)
>
> g-wrap-1.3.4.tar.gz
> glib-devel-1.2.10-586.i586.rpm 9.1
> gnome-libs-devel-1.4.1.7-666.i586.rpm 9.1
> gtk-devel-1.2.10-877.i586.rpm 9.1
> orbit-devel-0.5.17-328.i586.rpm 9.1
> imlib-devel-1.9.14-180.8.i586.rpm 9.1
> libxml-devel-1.8.17-374.i586.rpm 9.3
> db1-devel-1.85-89.i586.rpm 9.3
> gdk-pixbuf-devel-0.22.0-67.i586.rpm 9.3
> gnome-print-devel-0.37-4.i586.rpm 9.3
> libglade-devel-0.17-234.i586.rpm 9.3
> gal-devel-0.24-218.i586.rpm 9.3
> gtkhtml-devel-1.1.10-206.i586.rpm 9.3
> libghttp-devel-1.0.9-649.i586.rpm 9.3
> oaf-devel-0.6.10-441.i586.rpm 9.3
> bonobo-devel-1.0.22-276.i586.rpm 9.3
> gnucash-1.8.11.tar.gz 9.3
>
> ISSUES (descending severity)
>
> Printing loses account description.
>
> Blue underlines on main UI.
>
> Couldn't locate a gttp_enable_ssl either.
>
> Among minor startup messages was:
>   gtkrc:37: error: unexpected identifier
> `gtk-alternative-button-order', expected keyword -
> e.g. `style'
>
> SUMMARY
>
> Toughest and lengthiest part was just finding the
> right packages.  All in all I can live with most of
> the issues, though it would be nice to get a decent
> report.  Thanks again Thomas and for the education on
> build gnucash.
>
> cs

Thanks to both CS and Thomas for their help. and to Derek for his
feedback, too.

After running Thomas's script to compile g-wrap, I found some additional
packages that I needed to install, so I've included the entire list
here:

bonobo-devel-1.0.22-276.i586.rpm
db1-devel-1.85-89.i586.rpm
gal-devel-0.24-218.i586.rpm
gdk-pixbuf-devel-0.22.0-67.i586.rpm
glib-devel-1.2.10-586.i586.rpm
gnome-libs-devel-1.4.1.7-666.i586.rpm
gnome-print-devel-0.37-4.i586.rpm
gtk-devel-1.2.10-877.i586.rpm
gtkhtml-devel-1.1.10-206.i586.rpm
imlib-devel-1.9.14-180.8.i586.rpm
libghttp-devel-1.0.9-649.i586.rpm
libglade-devel-0.17-234.i586.rpm
libxml-devel-1.8.17-374.i586.rpm
oaf-devel-0.6.10-441.i586.rpm
opensp-devel-1.5.1-80.i586.rpm
orbit-devel-0.5.17-328.i586.rpm
slib-3a1-44.i586.rpm

The additional ones, apart from, I believe slib, are required if you
require to compile in ofx support, as I needed to. My SuSE 9.3 is an
upgrade from 9.1, which may explain why slib is required.

Thomas's script installs in /usr, rather than the standard /opt/gnome,
which is my preference, so, with the addition of ofx support, my compile
script looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
CC=gcc
CFLAGS=-O2
PATH="$PATH:/opt/gnome/bin"
(cd gnucash
rm -rf config.cache
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --enable-gui --enable-ofx
--disable-error-on-warning \
        --build=i386-linux-gnu
)
# end of script

When I ran gnucash after the compile process had completed, I got an
error:

des at p133:~> /usr/bin/gnucash
ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/share/guile/1.6/slib/mklibcat"

The only mklibcat file I could find was /usr/share/slib/mklibcat.scm.

Derek provided the answer: run gnucash as root, once.  This will cause
it to build the libcat. Then you can run it as you.

Compiling gnucash resolves the problem importing ofx files that exists
when running the version of gnucash which shipped with 9.3.

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support