Cleaning up old files

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Thu Dec 1 19:37:30 EST 2005

JUNIPER wrote:
> GnuCash 1.8.11 Red Hat 3
> I use "allfinance" as my basic working file and keep it in a GnuCash
> directory (as well as occasionally to a flash card). .xac & .log files
> keep accumulating. Shouldn't they be automatically deleted or replaced
> after a certain amount of time? There are now 152 files there. Is the
> only option for me to periodically manually delete all of the .xac and
> .log files (hoping I don't accidently delete "allfinance" as well!  Is
> it possible to not make those files at all? (back up with sufficient
> frequency that I don't feel I need them)

I've noticed the same thing with 1.8.11. I had files back to about april
or so and finally manually deleted them. IIRC gnc is supposed to
automatically delete them after a certain point, but it doesn't seem to
be working. You can change the number of days to keep log files in
preferences->general, but as I siad, it doesn't seem to be working. You
can safely delete the old .log and .xac files every once in a while, and
if it really bothers you just put up a cron job to do it.