Gnucash and inventory

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Tue Dec 13 13:26:54 EST 2005

Marc Paré wrote:
> I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
> using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
> Gnucash ... or any suggestions?

As Brian said, what kind of inventory, how large etc?

There are definitely ways to work around it. If you are simply dealing
with the cash value of inventory on hand, that is easily tracked in an
asset account. If you want to actually count widgets on hand and store
that number, maybe there is a way to fudge it using stocks or exchange
rates or something like that. For example, you could make up a stock for
your widgets called "widget" (I know creative). Then when you purchase
more widgets you can treat it like a stock purchase. When you sell
widgets, (for more than you buy them I hope) then split the sales
transaction with part of it going to reduce you inventory and part of it
to income? I am only guessing here as I don't do anything like this in
my books.