Gnucash and inventory

Brian Dolbec brian_dolbec at telus.net
Tue Dec 13 21:25:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-13-12 at 10:26 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Marc Paré wrote:
> > I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
> > using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
> > Gnucash ... or any suggestions?
>
> As Brian said, what kind of inventory, how large etc?
>
> There are definitely ways to work around it. If you are simply dealing
> with the cash value of inventory on hand, that is easily tracked in an
> asset account. If you want to actually count widgets on hand and store
> that number, maybe there is a way to fudge it using stocks or exchange
> rates or something like that. For example, you could make up a stock for
> your widgets called "widget" (I know creative). Then when you purchase
> more widgets you can treat it like a stock purchase. When you sell
> widgets, (for more than you buy them I hope) then split the sales
> transaction with part of it going to reduce you inventory and part of it
> to income? I am only guessing here as I don't do anything like this in
> my books.

> > Cheers
> >
> > Marc

Here is what he emailed me:

I would like to be able to track inventory using gnucash. My wife's
business, 2ndlanguagesuccess.com includes hundreds of industry
transaction
cheat sheet cards, which we sell. It would be nice to track how many of
each
card we have on hand, which are already at the printer or scheduled for
printing, so that we can keep up with orders coming in.

Scott

I think your work-around using stocks would work for him fairly well.

P.S.  Don't forget to cc the list as well.  Usually hit "Reply all"
instead of reply :)

--
Brian Dolbec <brian_dolbec at telus.net>