Gnucash and inventory

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Dec 15 01:46:42 EST 2005

Brian Dolbec a écrit :

>On Wed, 2005-14-12 at 06:20 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
>

>>I am not too sure who sent you that note but it certainly was not from
>>me! It sounds like it came from another poster who would like the same
>>function from their Gnucash.
>>

>Yes, the email sender was different, ("Dr. Scott S. Jones"
><scott at fyrenice.com>) but I did not pay attention since many people have
>several email aliases.  (me too :)
>

>>As to the inventory in question, I sell a combination of some early
>>music keyboard supply parts and have recently started to sell computer
>>supplies locally. I would need a package to more accurately track my
>>inventory list. Andrew's suggestion looks like a good one. I may give it
>>a shot.
>>

>That method should work for small inventories and not involve
>manufacturing or combining to any extent.
>

>>I have already started a database but it is very rudimentary and not
>>tied to my Gnucash.
>>

>What is your database table?  That will give us a start to your needs.
>Gnucash2 and beyond will be easier to integrate your database (see
>below).   Are you capable of any programming?  What languages
>(programming) are you familiar with, database your using?
>

>>Brian ... you suggested that many people have requested an inventory
>>module and to register my request for one as well. Would I just do that
>>here or is Derek taking note of these on his own?
>>

>Derek is far too busy as it is now.  What I meant was to list the
>information you need to track so that any future development can search
>these archives for user needs.  I myself would like an inventory module.
>but it is not critical for my needs.
>
>  Neil has been working on backend code that can be used to integrate
>info from different sources into/out-of gnucash.   It has been suggested
>that a proper inventory control module would probably be best to keep
>separate files and transfer info to/from gnucash.  I would agree since
>inventory could be many thousands of items/pieces, involve manufacturing
>to create other items, etc..
>
>I probably have a greater desire than time to commit to working on
>development of an inventory, payroll modules for gnucash.  Also a point
>of sale system to tie into gnucash.  If you want to participate I'm sure
>others will too.  I know Neil has volunteered to help with backend data
>transfers
>

>>I am looking into Quasar which I used to use before their GPL'd version
>>which looks like it tracks inventory although I would prefer to remain
>>with Gnucash.
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestions from all.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Marc

Hi Brian:

I am just filling trying out the database in OpenOffice for now. As for
programming skills etc. ... I have no skills in this area although I
wish I had some programming skills! It would be great if there were an
inventory module, and I know that Derek is quite busy with the upcoming
version of Gnucash, of which I am looking forward to. I guess I will
just bide my time with the present system until I find one that suits my
needs. If there is some development of an inventory module I guess I
could contribute by helping out with the testing.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Cheers

Marc