Posting expense reimbursements

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 17 11:47:29 EST 2005

"Jeffrey B.Ferland" <jeffrey.ferland at maine.edu> writes:

> I have one thing that I've been stuck on in dealing with gnucash, and
> that is being able to accept an invoice payment that is posted to an
> expense account rather than an asset / income account.
>
> Basically, I get a cell phone bill every month that is not mine, and
> I pay it off using my credit card. Bill received, bill paid. I then
> want to use the money I receive from my invoice to balance my
> Expenses.Phone account so it looks like I didn't have the expense in
> the first place... thereby balancing my credit card properly and also
> not making it appear as if I'm spending money on a phone each month
> when I check my expense reports.
>
> This has been working when done manually without billing / invoicing,
> but I'd like to change it so I"m using that more. Thoughts?

You don't want to use an Expense Account at that point.  You want to
use an Asset Account to show that the money spent on that Cell Phone
really isn't an expense, but it's money that someone else owes you.

Also, have you looked at Vendor Bills and Expense Vouchers?  Those let
you post to Expense Accounts, and let you tie the expense to a
chargeback customer who then pays you.  However it doesn't post to
balance offset the expense; it increases your Income:Reimbursement
account.

Hopefully an Accountant can pipe in and give you his/her opinion.