The trouble with double-entry...

Robert Uhl ruhl at 4dv.net
Tue Feb 1 22:22:55 EST 2005

TC <tc at emailetc.co.uk> writes:

> > > Now here's where I screw with 700 years of accounting tradition.
> >
> > That's where you should take a step back and reconsider.  It's the
> > height of hubris for me to think that I know better than centuries
> > of men (I happen to think so quite often, but that's because I'm a
> > pompous git...).  If folks have been doing it for so long, it's
> > highly probable that there's a good reason for it, although of
> > course there may not be.
>
> Interesting philosophy.  And so where do you think we'd be today then,
> if certain Italian merchants, 500 years ago, had followed your advice,
> not said "yah booh sucks!" to *their* elders, and hadn't come up with
> Double Entry book-keeping?

I did note that there might _not_ be a good reason to stick with
something.  But the odds aren't on one's side.  Neophilia is a worse
vice than neophobia IMNSHO.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the
poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal
bread.                                          --Anatole France