downloading transactions from Fidelity

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 19:37:07 EST 2005

There is a script-- ofx.py -- available from http://www.jongsma.org/gc/
which may well accomplish what you want. You will also need the bank
info from another script there. If it hasn't changed, the relevant
section for Fidelity Investments is:

   <bank:bank>
     <bank:name>Fidelity Investments</bank:name>
     <bank:guid>5189</bank:guid>
     <bank:updated>02/25/2004</bank:updated>

<bank:keywords>|corporation|distributors|house|investment|</bank:
keywords>
     <bank:bankurl>
       <bankurl:homepage>http://personal.fidelity.com/</bankurl:homepage>

<bankurl:statements>https://scs.fidelity.com/tpv/
logout_webxpress.shtml</bankurl:statements>
     </bank:bankurl>
     <bank:banking>
       <banking:statements>1</banking:statements>
     </bank:banking>
     <bank:signon>
       <signon:userfield>User ID</signon:userfield>
       <signon:passfield>Password</signon:passfield>
     </bank:signon>

<bank:config>http://www.microsoft.com/money/money2004/usa/5189.xml</
bank:config>
     <bank:driver>O</bank:driver>
   </bank:bank>

The key points are the bank guid and the https address. You may have to
experiment with the login parameters you pass to the script from the
command line. I found that for Ameritrade, I had to enter my account
number twice -- once as the user ID and the second for the account ID.
Ameritrade also uses a different PIN for ofx connections than it uses
for a password on the web site. However, the Fidelity help info at
their site says that they use the same PIN on the regular web site as
for Quicken/MSMoney connections. For ofx.py, the PIN is entered in
response to a "password:" query from the python script after you have
already entered the 'python ofx.py site user account' command.

You will have to edit the script to define the Fidelity case. It's
fairly straightforward at the top of the ofx.py file.

There is also a different site if you're trying to download 401K
Fidelity account info.

I don't know how much security Fidelity uses against brute force
attacks. Vanguard used to lock me out of my account for no apparent
reason, and the only explanation customer service could come up with is
that the failed password count (three times) did not reset upon a
successful connection. So over a few months, a couple spurious typing
failures would lock me out. (That is, unless some other user was
putting my name in with their password and locking me out instead of
themselves...) If you run this script a whole bunch of times and have
only a little success, but are not completely successful at downloading
the info, you might find account access temporarily suspended. Happily,
I figured the Ameritrade stuff out before I triggered any undo
oversight.

Once you get a successful download, you can import that into gnucash
using File/Import OFX-QFX menu item in gnucash. It isn't as automatic
as MSMoney, but it works quite well once it is set up. If you open the
downloaded file with a text editor, you should be able to tell if you
successfully downloaded all the expected data. It isn't pretty, but the
text fields ought to obviously point to  transactions you know about.

I have also found that even though the python script allows entering a
start date for the transaction download, Ameritrade ignores that and
gives me 31 days. It looks like Fidelity does 90 days. They say they
will download up to 90 days each time you log in, depending on your
last download. I think you get 90 days every time, but all the software
(including Gnucash) successfully screens out previously imported
transactions. Ah, the joys of having unique transaction IDs...

Good luck. I think ofx.py should be able to get you the download you
need.

Dave
--
David Reiser