problems getting online price quotes

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Fri Feb 4 14:13:32 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 10:57 +0100, Anders Vinjar wrote:

> This works fine using 'dump-finance-quote europe NHY.OL', which
> returns sensible info.

This fails for me due to the lack of any currency being returned by
F::Q.

	The query for NHY.OL failed!!
	Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
	    symbol: NHY.OL               <=== required
	      date: 2/4/2005             <=== required
	  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
	      last: 501.00               <=\
	       nav:                      <=== one of these
	     price: 501.00               <=/
	  timezone:                      <=== optional

> I have a feeling this is related to the "Type"-pane in the
> commodity editor.  What would be sensible values to put in there?

F::Q is unable to extract the currency of the quote from the information
it gets from Yahoo.  (If anyone knows how to get this info from Yahoo,
please tell me.)  F::Q uses an internal mapping table from quote suffix
to currency name.  It appears that the entry in this table for the Oslo
stock exchange is wrong.  Its specified as 'OS', not 'OL'.

I'll update the entry in F::Q, but I don't know when the next release
will be.  In the meantime you have two choices.  Use the 'OS' suffix
when entering stocks into gnucash, or fix the table in your copy of
F::Q.  To do the latter, change the line:

  	OS  => "NOK", # Norway		Oslo

  	OL  => "NOK", # Norway		Oslo

in the file .../Finance/Quote/Yahoo/Base.pm.  The file is in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 on my system.

David