The trouble with double-entry...

TC tc at emailetc.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 12:06:23 EST 2005

>>another thing I would like to see is the ability to have the
>>components of a split transactions have different dates associated with
>>them.

> Now, who would be interested in that?
> Who wants to know when you sat down and wrote a cheque?
> Why are you writing out cheques anyway? Why don't you transfer the money from
> cheque account to credit card on line?  That will make your reconciliations
> easier. :-))

I've *always* wanted this feature, and I don't use cheques.  But even
with the fastest available online transfer, money leaves my bank account
on a particular day, and doesn't arrive at my credit card until two to
five working days later.  (In the "limbo" time, it's being held onto by
useless banks and other financial eejits who make money off the interest.)

So that causes minor reconciliation annoyances.  Unless I pass the money
through a suspense account (and who can be bothered, for the sake of a
few days), only one of my two accounts - bank or credit card - can be
item by item accurate.  I take the same "who can be bothered" approach
witht that too, but let's not pretend that the suggested feature doesn't
have a reasonable demand.

tc