The trouble with double-entry...

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 6 06:38:17 EST 2005

Bill Wisse wrote:

>On Saturday 05 February 2005 19:48, Rod Engelsman wrote:
>

>>Finally,
>>

>Good Grief, Finally!!!
>

>>another thing I would like to see is the ability to have the
>>components of a split transactions have different dates associated with
>>them. The date you wrote the check, the date it posted to the credit
>>card account, and finally the date it cleared your bank. It would make
>>reconciling statements easier.
>>

>Now, who would be interested in that?
>Who wants to know when you sat down and wrote a cheque?
>Why are you writing out cheques anyway? Why don't you transfer the money from
>cheque account to credit card on line?  That will make your reconciliations
>easier. :-))

That depends.  If the accounts are at different banks you can wind up
with Bank A reckoning that the transaction occured one one day, and the
other bank recording it on another day, yet gnucash only allows it to
have one date.  This can actually stuff up your reconciliations
something cruel. :-(

Derrick