OFX Importer and Transaction Matcher

Berck E. Nash flyboy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 11:25:31 EST 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:
> I disagree that ANY uncleared transactions should be a candidate to
> match..  However it's possible that the match-chooser algorithm can be
> improved.

Well, either the matching algorithm needs to get much, much better, or
there needs to be a way to manually match transactions...

I'll point this out-- in the years I was using Quicken, I don't recall
that it ever failed to properly automatically match transactions.  I
understand that the traansaction matcher is probably still in its
infancy and some paatience is needed.  But my complaint is not simply
that it's failing to automatically matching the correct transactions,
it's not even giving me the correct transaction as an option to manually
match!  My only recourse has been to skip importing the transaction
alltogether and manually mark it as clear.  Then next time I import, I
have to once again skip the transaction.  It's really, really annoying.
  For EFTs with a description, sometimes I'll actually delete my manual
entry off the transaction then import the version from the OFX file as a
new transaction.  This doesn't work for checks since the description is
"CHECK".

If offering up every uncleared transaction as a possible match is too
much, how about every uncleared transaction with the SAME AMOUNT?  It
only makes sense.

To give you a concrete example:  Yesterday I tried to import a $100
transaction and the ONLY ONE it offers as a possible match is a $40
transaction!  Yet there were TWO $100 uncleared transactions it should
have listed as a match...

It's not like I'm dealing with more than 30-50 transactions a month...
Most with different amounts.  It seems like it really should be able to
figure it out.