Bill shared between business and personal accounts

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 17 16:53:36 EST 2005

Hello list,

Running a home-based business as we do, there are a number of costs that
are shared between the business and personal accounts - phone,
electricity, water, gas, automobile, etc.  It is fairly simple to split
these bills if they are entered directly, but I have just tried to do so
through the business A/P functions, and have to report that this does
not seem to work.  For example, the phone bill is split 75%/25% business
and personal.  I created a vendor record for the phone company, and a
bill.  Posted the bill into Accounts Payable. Processed the payment.
The only place where you might be able to specify two expense accounts
for a single bill is in the invoice itself, but (a) I recently
discovered that multiple line invoices don't work because of the
Accumulate Splits bug, and I don't want to update to 1.8.11 until gentoo
has the upgrade at least in testing, and (b) I don't appear to be able
to specify the correct account there anyway - the invoice item only
accepts Assets, Liabilities and Expenses, and the way I normally handle
the business paying for personal expenditure is via an Equity:Owner
Drawing account.

The reason why I am trying to use A/P is that I normally pay bills via
an online banking BPAY process that allows me to schedule the payment on
the day that it is due, and I want to duplicate this in gnucash.  Is
there a better way to do this?

Derrick