Additional features

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Sun Feb 20 10:28:00 EST 2005

Derek Atkins said:
> Ken Henderson <KenOHenderson at worldnet.att.net> writes:
>> Check check numbers for duplicates.
>
> The problem with this is that the system doens't know whether a check#
> is incoming or outgoing, so you may actually HAVE duplicate check
> numbers.

I see what you are saying here, but I don't agree that it should be a
problem.

First off, you would only check for duplicates when the entry is being
recorded, so at that point you can tell if it is a credit or debit type of
transaction and supposedly only worry about duplicate debits.

But really, it doesn't matter.  This should only be a warning anyway.  You
wouldn't want to tell the user that he cannot enter a duplicate check
number, only warn him that he is about to enter one.  This way the user
wouldn't be prevented from entering duplicate incoming check numbers if he
wants to.  Maybe even have it be a configuration option so that the user
can disable these warnings if desired.

It was probably due to poor bookkeeping practices on my part, but I've
also been bitten by entering a check more than once.  Having a duplicate
warning would have helped.  But then maybe it's not all that bad after
all.  The bottom line was that I actually had more money in my account
than I thought I had.  :-)

    /dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey