roommate/common expenses, non-business

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Fri Feb 25 10:23:40 EST 2005

"Robert C. Ramsdell III" <rcriii at ramsdells.net> writes:

> Set up an account called Assets:Roomate Payable.  When you pay the cable
> bill transfer half the money to the cable expense, and half to the
> Roomate Payable account.  When he pays the electric bill, transfer half
> of that amount from Roomate Payable to Expenses:Electric (and so forth).
> Then the balance in Roomate Payable will reflect what he owes you or
> vice-versa.

That's what I do too. I've also created sub-accounts for each expense
type.

My roommate does the same on her end.

When I write a check to my roommate at the end of the month, I make it
a split. There is a line item for each equivalent expense as well as a
line item for each sub-account on my side with a non-zero balance. A
check from my checking account is used to balance everything out to 0.

For example, if my half of the rent and groceries are $1000 and $200
respectively, and her half of the housing expenes and dining are $100
and $100 respectively, then my split would look like this:

    Expenses:Rent       $1000
    Expenses:Groceries   $200
    Assets:Roommate:Home       $100
    Assets:Roommate:Dining     $100
    Assets:Checking           $1000

showing that I would have to write a check for $1000 this month.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD