Multi-currency problems 2 of 2 (splits)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 10 09:48:55 EST 2005

TC <tc at emailetc.co.uk> writes:

[snip]
> I tried to represent that in gnucash by entering the 1010 as a split.
> I noticed two problems.
>
> PROBLEM 1 - I wasn't asked for an exchange rate for the 1000 pound part
> PROBLEM 2 - the split transaction appeared in the destination bank
> account, but all the values are zero
>
> Just to make that second problem clear:
>
> Before the transfer, the account balances were:
>
> UK account = 2000 pounds
> US account = 50 dollars
>
> After the transfer, the account balances were:
>
> UK account = 990 pounds (correct - 1010 pounds has been deducted)
> US account = 50 dollars (wrong - where is the incoming 1814 dollars?)
>
> Again, am I doing it wrong?

First, which version of gnucash are you using?

Second, how did you enter the transaction?  Using what interface?
What key-/button- presses?  Unfortunately the register code is
EXTREMELY fragile (internally) so the actual method used matters.
There are at least three different code paths for "leaving" a cell in
the register, so how you do it really does have an affect on behavior.
It's (IMHO) a design flaw of the register implementation.  It's quite
annoying, too.  So it's very possible that you used a broken
code-path.

Some paths got broken sometime between 1.8.6 and 1.8.9 and I just
haven't had the time or energy to track down what broke.  I'm hoping
someone else comes along willing to take on that task.