Canadian Stocks in USD (eventually)

Jeffrey Ratcliffe jrposting at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 16:11:37 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 15:32 -0500, David Hampton wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 21:24 +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> > I couldn't find the symbol for a US exchange,
>
> For yahoo, the US is denoted by no suffix, or by one of the following
> suffixes (from the F::Q source):
>
> 	US  => "USD", # USA		AMEX, Nasdaq, NYSE
>   	A   => "USD", # USA		American Stock Exchange (ASE)
>   	B   => "USD", # USA		Boston Stock Exchange (BOS)
>   	N   => "USD", # USA		Nasdaq Stock Exchange (NAS)
>   	O   => "USD", # USA		NYSE Stock Exchange (NYS)
>   	OB  => "USD", # USA		OTC Bulletin Board
>   	PK  => "USD", # USA		Pink Sheets
>   	X   => "USD", # USA		US Options

Unfortunately, it is not that easy, as the German exchanges use 6 digit
numbers for their symbols. So I can't just use the same symbol with a
different suffix.

Indeed on further examination, it seems that neither are listed on US
exchanges, because they are mutual funds, based in Europe, but listed
(and sold) in USD because they are made up by mostly US interests.

> No problem.  I'm intrigued by the fact you were getting quotes in a
> currency that isn't the local currency of the country where the exchange
> is located.  I'm trying to see if I can elicit that information from
> Yahoo without screen scraping, so I can add support to F::Q.

Good luck!

Jeff