Accounting for saving money to pay credit card monthly

TC tc at emailetc.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 17:45:11 EST 2005

Oh boy do I remember working my way through this question. Forgive me,
but what follows is long :-)

When I first taught myself double-entry book keeping years ago, this was
exactly the sort of thing I wanted to do. Rather than reserving money
for a credit card, I was wanting to make sure that if I budgeted to
spend 500 on food and 100 on clothing, then I wanted some mechanism to
stop me eating (forgive the pun) into the food 500 if I was tempted to
overspend on the clothing. But it was the same idea - having some way of
reserving money for one thing, so I didn't use it on another thing.

Eventually, after much messing about, I realised that I was doing it all
wrong.  This is a budgeting problem, *not* a book-keeping one.  You
CANNOT do what you're trying to do within the the overall ledgers of
Gnucash (or any other proper book keeping tool) and still have your
books be accurate.  For example, you proposed:

 >                               DB      CR
 > liabilities:credit card:            $50.00
 > expenses:whatever:         $50.00
 > assets:checking:                    $50.00
 > ??? assets:hold?           $50.00

And in fact that is "correct" in terms of what you're trying to achieve.
  But since that $50.00 on line three hasn't really moved out of your
REAL checking account and into your "assets:hold" account, the books are
now wrong.  Wrong. WRONG!

Of course, you could perist with that approach and simply ignore your
REAL checking account.  Then, when you actually paid money from your
checking account to your credit card you'd have...

                                     DB      CR
       liabilities:credit card:    $50.00
       ??? assets:hold?                    $50.00

...thus clearing both of those accounts. And, precisely because you were
ignoring your REAL checking account, you would appear to have less money
to spend (i.e. in gnucash's assets:checking).  And so you would achieve
that protection-from-spending-on-something-else that you're looking for.

But it's all at the cost of having inaccurate books from time to time
(realistically, they'd be wrong pretty much all the time, although
they'd hover around reality depending on how much you used your card and
when it was paid off each month).

I have two pieces of advice for you, born of long experience on this front.

First, keep your books spot on accurate.   They tell you what you *did*,
not what you're going to do. Then, in parallel, use a spreadsheet to
budget - i.e. to tell you what you're going (or are aiming) to do.
Then, stick to that budget, tracking actuals versus budgets even on a
weekly basis if that's what it takes.  DO NOT - this is the key - rely
on the fact that there is money in your checking account when trying to
decide if you have money to spend.  The fact that there is money sitting
in your checking account should mean nothing as far as answering the
"can I buy X" question is concerned. Your budget (and your current
performance to budget) tells you that.

Now of course that can be hard.  You go to an ATM a week before the
credit card payment goes off and think "Wahay! Loadsamoney!".  So you
can trick yourself into thinking you have no extra money (which of
course you don't - because it's already pre-allocated to paying off that
card).  Trick yourself by predicting what your card repayment is going
to be, and at the start of the month, shove that much (plus a wee bit)
into a real other account that you don't look at.  Leave it there until
a day or two before the payment comes off, then shove it back into the
checking account.  This way, whenever you look at your chekcing balance
(at the ATM say), you'll think you have less money than you do, so you
won't spend! :-)

But my second piece of advice is even better:

Just don't do what you're trying to do.  Ignore those tempting reward
points.  Forget that frequent flyer faff.  Pay with a debit card or
cheque or cash and keep it simple.  So, you lose some air miles.  So,
you don't get a $0.000273 rebate on gas.  So what. You avoid the real
danger of missing the payment, or causing an overdraft because your
auto-payment does go through but you've ignored my earlier advice about
budgeting :-)  All it takes is a couple of overdraft penalties, or a
couple of months of interest, and you wipe out any benefits.

Just by $53-worth :-)

tc