Accounting for saving money to pay credit card monthly

Christopher Scott wabe5 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 14:50:19 EST 2005

Scenario:  I have a credit card that pays me "reward points" for each
dollar I spend.  I would, therefore, like to maximize the use of this
card.  However, I want to pay off the balance on a monthly basis.
Therefore, I want to be able to automatically account for money out of
my checking account so that I don't spend it on something else.

How do I account for this?

Example today:
                              DB      CR
liabilities:credit card:            $50.00
expenses:whatever:         $50.00

Going forward:

                              DB      CR
liabilities:credit card:            $50.00
expenses:whatever:         $50.00
assets:checking:                    $50.00
??? assets:hold?           $50.00

Is this correct?  What kind of account is this (still an asset account,
some sort of accounts/payable account, or something else)?

Thank you.

=====
--
Christopher Scott