Unbalanced balance sheet

Jeffrey Ratcliffe jrposting at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 16:12:21 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 10:11 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jrposting at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Shares Assets:Share    195.91
> > Fee    Expenses          4.09
> > Shares Assets:Current -200.00
> >
> > Although curiously the accounts are out of balance at this point by EUR
> > 4.10 (not GBP 4.09),

> What's the purchase price of the shares?  Let's say you bought the
> shares for $200 and then sell them for $195.  This is a loss of $5.
> But gnucash wont balance properly because you don't have a split to
> indicate that this extra $5 went to expenses.

It is a single transaction. The shares are bought, not sold, and I am
charged a fee for buying them, which I charge against the Expenses
account, so (my main reporting currency is GBP, but all 3 off these
account are in EUR), 200 gets transferred out of Asset:Current. 4.09
goes into Expenses, and the 195.91 rest get converted into shares in
Assets:Share.

Why does this cause an unbalance of EUR 4.10?

Jeff