Unbalanced balance sheet

JIm javastead at fastmail.us
Tue Jan 18 20:29:12 EST 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Mark Eackloff <meackloff at cox.net> writes:
>
>> This happened to me recently.  I determined that it was caused by an
>> unbalanced entry.  Yes, that's right.  Apparently it is possible to
>> enter only one side of a transaction.  I'm not sure if that's a
>> "feature" or a bug.
>
> The only way I know of to enter unbalanced transactions is via the OFX
> Import process.  I (still) consider that a bug, but it has not (yet)
> been fixed.  :(
>
> However, that's not the only way to cause a balance-sheet imbalance.
> Another way is not accounting for capital gains/losses when you sell a
> commodity other than your report-currency.  Gnucash 1.8 does not
> properly account for the change-in-value of commodities, which means
> your balance sheet will be out of balance.
>
> -derek

How would one account for capital gains/losses when selling a commodity.
For instance, I buy 10 shares of ABC for $10 each , then sell all 10 for $20
each.

I would have something like:
Asset/checking                                   $100
Asset/ABC             10    $10   $100

Where 10 and $10 are the shares and price

Then selling I would have
Asset/checking                         $200
Asset/ABC             -10    $20              $200

Would my balance sheet be off by $100 dollars (since my Asset/ABC started at
$0, and ended at $0, but my Checking increased by $100)?

If so, is there a better way to enter the transaction, or another
transaction to enter?
--
Jim