gnucash GUI

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Jan 19 13:39:59 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 12:11, ED Antrobus wrote:
> Is any work being done on freshening up and softening the interface?
> For me, the way the program looks is the single biggest impediment for
> embracing the program instead of putting off balancing my checkbook as
> long as possible.

The biggest focus right now is a rather literal conversion of the
GTK/GNOME-1 GUI code to GTK/GNOME2.  To prevent unnecessary problems,
the desire is to make as _few_ extraneous changes as possible during
this effort; we'll inherit gtk2's better look and feel in this process.

There's been quiet rumblings of more substantial GUI-rewrite efforts,
but it's really a tremendous amount of effort -- multiple many-years of
effort have gone into the current GUI code.

Contributed HCI / HIG reviews are pretty helpful.  General/vague
suggestions less so, but don't let me stop you from detailing a specific
proposal if you have one.   Patches help more.

[My personal grousing is usually around general interface slowness,
custom widgetry and tab order / keyboard navigation.  I'm also well
aware that the Scheduled Transaction code is one of the worst offenders
in this regard. :/].

Any major redesign efforts should definitely wait until after the gnome2
port is finished; any one itching to do such work and having such skills
should help in the gnome2 port effort.

...jsled