Unbalanced balance sheet

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 23 07:15:54 EST 2005

Hello Derek,

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Hi,

>>>Did you follow the instructions at http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml to
>>>login to the cvs server?  This is the page you get if you click on "CVS Access"
>>>on the GnuCash website.
>>>

>>Yes, I did - that's where I got the password from.  Nor did I commit any
>>typos when I entered the command line string. I checked. Do I need to do
>>any setup of cvs locally first, and if so, what?
>>

>It sounds like you did not properly type the cvs login command.  It
>sounds like you tried to login with the user daeroncs, which does not
>exist on the CVS server.
>

>>I don't know that looking at the report code would do a whole lot for
>>me.   What I actually want to look at is the output of a working balance
>>sheet...
>>
>>Sorry if I'm being a pain, but you know what they say - no pain, no gain.
>>
>>Derrick (geez, this must be getting to me, I nearly spelt my name wrong,
>>there...)
>>

>Hmm...  Well, it IS possible that the report in CVS HEAD wont work,
>properly, either.  The HEAD code is not nearly 'user-ready'.
>
>-derek

Now he tells me!  I confess that it WAS a typo! I am now checking out
gnucash as per the instructions on the cvs page at gnucash.  I sometimes
think that computers exist merely to make we operators look like
complete fools.  In my case I admit that they don't have to try that
hard... I will let you know how I get on.

Incidentally, I have to report that when I upgraded from 1.8.9 to 1.8.10
I found that whereas before I could be entering a transaction in an
account window, find that I needed to create a new account, click back
to the main account tree window, create the account and have it
immediately available in the account window I was using, now I have to
close that window before the list of accounts gets refreshed.  A
distinct disimprovement.  I know that in the ideal world we would all
carefully setup our tree of accounts before entering a single
transaction, but ...

Derrick