Unbalanced balance sheet

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 22 20:29:23 EST 2005

Derrick Ashby <daeroncs at fastmail.fm> writes:

> Now he tells me!  I confess that it WAS a typo! I am now checking out
> gnucash as per the instructions on the cvs page at gnucash.  I sometimes
> think that computers exist merely to make we operators look like
> complete fools.  In my case I admit that they don't have to try that
> hard... I will let you know how I get on.

Okay.  :)

> Incidentally, I have to report that when I upgraded from 1.8.9 to 1.8.10
> I found that whereas before I could be entering a transaction in an
> account window, find that I needed to create a new account, click back
> to the main account tree window, create the account and have it
> immediately available in the account window I was using, now I have to
> close that window before the list of accounts gets refreshed.  A
> distinct disimprovement.  I know that in the ideal world we would all
> carefully setup our tree of accounts before entering a single
> transaction, but ...

Known issue.  It was something of a design decision in order to
significantly improve the performance in the case where you have lots
and lots of accounts.  Unfortunately it's going to require a bit of an
architectural change in the internal event subsystem to fix it.
That's definitely not going to happen in 1.8.  We'll see if I (or
someone else) will find the time to get it done for the next major
release.

I will note, however, that you don't have to go back to the account
tree window to add the new account.  You can just type in the new
account name in the register and it will ask you if you want to create
it.  (This is in the docs).