Another unbalanced balance sheet

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 04:39:40 EST 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 12:44 am, Bill Wisse wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 13:06, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 January 2005 11:19 pm, Bill Wisse wrote:
> > > And we all know the first rule of business.
> > >
> > > *NEVER argue with a customer*
> >
> > Some days, I only ever seem to say NO.

1. > > No, I can't do that for free.
> > No, I can't take you on, we're full to capacity.
> > No, there isn't anyone else in this area with space either.
> > No, we don't accept those.
> > No, you do have to pay, even for that.
> > No, it isn't my fault, blame the government.
2. > > No, you can't have that without authorisation.
3. > > No, you can't collect that early, it's illegal.
4. > > No, I can't let you do that, it's dangerous.
> > No, you can't leave the shop yet, sit and wait until it's all gone.
> > No, you can't take that home in your car like that, it could kill you and
> > others.

Those are all real quotes from real arguments over the years.

The ones marked are all real instances where the police had to be called to
remove the customer from the premises. In case 3, the customer vaulted the
barrier and produced a knife before the girls hit the alarm. In case 2, the
customer was arrested and spent 6 months at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

>  Neil, this is not arguing, this is conversation.

Believe me, when the 'customer' thinks they'll die without what I am refusing
to supply, YES, it is a heated argument. I've had a knife to my throat and
still refused. One of my old shops, I was on first name terms with the local
constabulary.

> Arguing is when the client says he ( she) paid and you says, no you didn't.

That's what I get - they say they are exempt from charges, I say they are not
- cue argument.

> And I still insist that this is a dangerous conversation and should be
> avoided at all times.

When the options are:
1. kill the customer
2. go to gaol
3. lose your registration (and livelihood)
4. lose your life

No, you can't avoid it!

You just hope the police get to you in time and that someone can sew your arm
back on.

--

Neil Williams