segmentation fault

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 28 10:19:48 EST 2005

Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca> writes:

> Today, I decided to try creating a custom report with an Expense
> piechart and and Income & Expense Chart on one report.  I changed the
> piechart to display 12 (I think) segments.  Since I liked this, I
> decided to save the report.

Hmm, I was unaware that Guppi actually supported 12 segments.

> However, the next time I opened gnucash, it crashed.  The shell where I
> opened it only showed "segmentation fault" as the output.
>
> I had to remove the most recent copy of the "books" file, restart
> gnucash, open the most recent backup, and replay the most recent log.
> No problem with the books; they are back where they belong.

Uh, this is wrong.  There's no reason you should have had to restore
from backup...

> There is a new "multicolumn view" under Reports->Custom.  This, I
> presume, is my saved report.  It continues to crash gnucash.

Does it crash when you run the report?  Or when you load gnucash?
I'm still confused.

> Now, when I start gnucash, it prints the following to the shell:
> Warning: xaccTransFindOldCommonCurr...(): unable to find a common
> currency, and that is strange.

Most likely the log replay is to fault here.  Did you actually "rm"
your original data file or just rename it out of the way.  If you
rm'ed it then you're screwed -- I would go back to the last backup and
then re-enter the transaction by hand.  If, however, you were
intelligent and just renamed the original file, I'd just rename it
back and use that.