Newbie migration issues

Rod Engelsman rodengelsman at ruraltel.net
Fri Jan 28 21:34:44 EST 2005

I'm in the process of migrating from MSMoney and I'm running into a few
bumps in the learning curve. Some things just don't seem to work like I
expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Setting up my wife's student loan. What numbers is the Loan Druid
expecting in various places? For instance, in the "Loan Information"
dialog, where it says "Amount", is that the amount borrowed or the
amount of the payment? Is it supposed to be positive or negative? And if
that is the amount of the payment, then where does this thing get the
amount of the principal from? No matter what combination of possible
entries I make to this thing it comes up with absurd amortization schedules.

2. Setting up categories for taxes (personal income). I went through the
business of assigning tax categories for everything, but the tax/TXF
report shows all zero amounts. In some places it says that I have some
code repeated (Error, Error, Will Robinson!). The situation isn't that
complex; my wife works, I get VA education benefits, we have a couple of
deductible categories (student loan interest and tuition) and we get Oil
and Gas Royalties from about a half-dozen different companies (couple
hundred bucks total a month for that).  Is it a matter of how you name
the accounts? Once again, the intuitive approach doesn't seem to work
and I can't find any documentation on this.

TIA