Newbie migration issues

Rod Engelsman rodengelsman at ruraltel.net
Sat Jan 29 09:01:58 EST 2005

Jon Lapham wrote:

> Rod Engelsman wrote:
>
>> Obviously, this amortization schedule is way screwed up. So what did
>> I do wrong?
>

> Hve you read through the docs yet?
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/loans_calcs1.html

Absolutely. Everything except the strictly-for-business parts. And
frankly, they sorta suck. Actually, it's just that they are woefully
incomplete. There is absolutely *no* documentation on the two issues
that are giving me a hard time (Loan Druid and Tax Options).

Furthermore, it turns out that the Financial Calculator (at least on my
installation) gives very inaccurate answers.  I say this by comparing
the answers it gives vs. the results using OpenOffice.org Calc. And the
Loan Druid is a very poor design even if it gave the right answer. There
is no way that if you punch the amount, rate, and length of your bank
loan into this thing that you are going to come  up with *exactly* the
same figure as your bank. And that *exact* figure is the check you have
to write each month.

On the other hand, I was able to devise a spreadsheet that calculates
the interest and principal split to match to the penny what my lender's
records show. So for now I'm just going to use that and enter the split
by hand. The druid is useless and in my installation completely broken
anyway. Please look at the bug that I referenced.

Rod