Newbie migration issues

TC tc at emailetc.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 13:10:02 EST 2005

 >>This open source
>>stuff is just way too buggy and hard to deal with. One can only afford
>>to burn up so much of one's time for the sake of feeling politically good.

> Hey, you get what you pay for!  Seriously, nobody is paid to work on
> gnucash.  It's a completely voluntary effort, and all the developers
> have other work to do for real, paying jobs.

Couple or three things.

First (and I know Derek didn't really mean to imply otherwise) you
actually get more than you pay for (easy when you pay nothing :-). In
fact, in some software, you get more than you would if you *did* pay for
it (but suffered the resulting loss of open-sourceness).

Second, this reaction from OSS users is not uncommon, and amounts to a
deep-seated feeling of "I'd rather you gave me nothing, than gave me
something that wasn't perfect".  But I don't think users *really*
believe that.  It's just hard to remember when you're struggling with
the effects of some bug or other.  But it would probably be worth having
some central OSS statement explaining this that stressed-out developers
could point stressed-out users to. And complaining users: if you really
do think it would be better to have no Gnucash than a
Gnucash-with-its-current-limits, then you have that option right now.
No one forces you to use it.

Finally - and I say this with the greatest respect for the developers
concerned - *sometimes*, *some* developers on this list don't make their
own life any easier by being so grumpy. :-)

tc

P.S. And I am not currently a Gnucash user.  I was, but I'm currently
experimenting with John Wiegley's command-line-drive 'ledger'.  If what
you want is ease of use and a nice well-developed (yes,
*well*-developed) GUI, then try ledger for a few days.  That'll either
cure you of GUI-love, or you'll realise what a good thing you've got
going in Gnucash.