Getting money for Gnucash development [was Re: Newbie migration

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jan 29 19:23:50 EST 2005

  Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>,
  In a message on Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:52:55 -0500, wrote :

DA> TC <tc at emailetc.co.uk> writes:
DA>
DA> > Have you any feeling for the number of users out there?  On top of that
DA> > you could probably add would-be users who are currently put off by the
DA> > FUD of moving away from Quicken etc.
DA>
DA> I wish I knew.  How many RedHat/Debian/Mandrake/SuSe/Gentoo users have
DA> installed Gnucash and use it?  We have no good way to track that.  I
DA> also have no idea how to counteract the FUD of moving away from
DA> Quicken.
DA>
DA> > And how, if at all, is Mozilla funded?
DA>
DA> Via the Mozilla Foundation..  And IIRC they got their original seed
DA> money from Netscape/AOL.

AND Mozilla/Firefox is current being 'boosted' by various M$ techies,
due to the recent spate of phishing attacks via IE -- M$ has been slow
to plug IE security holes (and not at all for *older* version of IE).
IE is starting to lose market share, for the first time since it was
released.

Note that there are ports of Mozilla and Firefox for MS-Windows.  There
are no ports (and none likely) of GnuCash to MS-Windows.  OTOH, as
MS-Windows users start getting 'experience' with OSS via Mozilla and
Firefox, much of M$ FUD relating to OSS might start to backfire,
*especially* given the *reasons* MS-Windows are switching from IE to
Mozilla and Firefox...