Getting money for Gnucash development [was Re: Newbie migration issues]

TC tc at emailetc.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 02:16:49 EST 2005

 > I also have no idea how to counteract the FUD of moving away from
> Quicken.

Actually, when I think about it, it's not really FUD that's the issue.
Quicken is simply a Very Good application.

Mozilla, especially in the form of Firefox and Thunderbird, really does
offer something (e.g. security) that is lacking in the equivalent MS
offering.  But Gnucash doesn't, I think, have the same differentiator
w.r.t. Quicken.

What Gnucash *does* provide is a quality finance package for GNU/Linux.

Which also means that the lack of a Windows port is not relevant.  If
having a certain number of users was necessary to make obtaining
sufficient funding possible, then I reckon it is, for all practical
purposes, *GNU/Linux* users that matter.

But maybe all of this is conceding too much ground.  Perhaps the trick
here is not to get money to allow the existing developers to go full
time.  Instead, perhaps it is to figure out why there aren't more
non-full-time developers. I'm basing this on the hypothesis that even if
Mozilla didn't have funding, it would still have a lot of developers.
Surely the linux kernel shows that serious unfunded development is possible?

And I would have thought that if a young coder, with spare time on
his/her hands, wanted to hack on some worthwhile and valued OSS project,
a Quicken-for-Linux would be one of the top three projects (the other
two being the kernel itself, and something like Chandler).

So, how come it doesn't?

[And it's no use me answering - I can't program for toffee; that's why
I'm not involved.  And by the looks of things, helping out in something
like Gnucash requires serious ability, or time to acquire it. But what
about those who *can* already code?]

tc