Perl script for "closing the books" in a GnuCash file

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Mon Jan 31 11:54:09 EST 2005

I've written a Perl script which parses an XML GnuCash data file,
archives old transactions into a separate file, and creates "Opening
Balances" transactions in the original file to reflect the totals of
the archived transactions.  It's a bit rough around the edges, and
many of those edges are documented in a comment a the top of the
script explaining what still needs to be improved, but it does what I
need to do quite well, albeit a bit slowly -- Perl doesn't parse XML
quite as fast as GnuCash does.

Two questions:

1) I gather that this is not functionality that GnuCash currently
   supports.  Is that correct?

2) Would it be useful for me to post this script here and/or submit it
   to the GnuCash maintainers for inclusion as a contributed script in
   the GnuCash distribution?

jik