gnucash how to switch commodity from ROL to RON?

Daniel Tudosie dtudosie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 02:57:45 EDT 2005

Hi,

I faced the same problem and here is my solution:
a) for the new currency (RON): as you might know, you cannot add
through the gui a new currency (or amend one...) so you'll have to :
   - either compile gnucash from scratch and add a new currency in the
file src/engine/iso-4217-currencies.scm (I hope I remember it
correctly) - just follow the examples...
   - or, use a different currency (there are plenty that you won't
ever use so you could just pick one)

b) about switching "all the money" form ROL to RON: I suggest that you
create a new file (based on the same set of accounts - export accounts
and then use that file as a start) and change the currency of the
accounts.
You can use the current balance of each account as the opening balance
for the new ones you create (at least that's what I did and it works).
I don't think changing all the existing transactions from ROL to RON
it's a good ideea because:
 - first of all: it's difficult (just as an exercise, I have wrote
some java classes that parse the gnucash file and I know it's not
straightforward) and perhaps the developers will agree...
 - second: you didn't really spent RON in the past, but ROL, so you
might get confused

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Daniel