Business Fenctions in the database

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jul 4 13:18:57 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 14:47, Renata Auchimik wrote:
> I am looking for an accounting package that would allow me to
> import/export data freely.
>
> I have heard that not all business functionalities are
> incorporated into the database that drives gnu cash.
> Unfortunately, I could not find detailed information on what is
> outstanding.
>
> Please point me to what is outstanding and need to be
> incorporated into the database.

Hi Renata.

This is all AFAIK, and sorry if I tell you things you know already!

Gnucash has 2 "backends" for storing the data - one produces an XML file which
contains everything, and one uses a postgres database to store information.

The XML file supports all the business extensions - customers, invoices, A/P,
A/R etc.etc.

There is no support in the postgres backend for any of these items, nor other
"recent" additions (anything in the 1.8.x timeframe and possibly the late
1.6.x series) eg. scheduled transactions

I am not a developer, nor have I ever used the postgres backend, so others may
be able to correct me on this.

Also be aware that IIRC, the postgres backend is deprecated, in favour of
sql-lite in some future version.

HTH,
Maf.