Buying and selling stock

Mark G. Woodruff markgwoodruff at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 13:17:53 EDT 2005

I'm trying to enter transactions to buy and sell stock
in a way that GnuCash keeps correct track of the
capital gains. Is the following the correct way to do
it? Is there an easier way?

Accounts:

Assets:Cash
Assets:Brokerage
Assets:Stock
Expenses:Commissions
Expenses:SEC Fee
Income:Capital Gains
Equity:Balances
                                 Dr.   Cr.
1. Starting cash on hand balance

Assets:Cash                      101
  Equity:Balances                      101

2. Transfer cash to brokerage

Assets:Brokerage                 101
  Assets:Cash                          101

3. Buy stock

Assets:Stock 100 sh @ 1/sh       100
  Assets:Brokerage                     100
Expenses:Commission                1
  Assets:Brokerage                       1

4. Sell stock with gain on sale at 1.10/sh

Assets:Brokerage                 100
  Assets:Stock -100 sh @ 1/sh          100
Assets:Brokerage                 10
  Income:Capital Gains                 8.90
Expenses:Commisions              1
  Assets:Brokerage                     1
Expenses:SEC Fee                 .10
  Assets:Brokerage                    .10

For a lot, do I have enter a separate sale at each
original price, adding in capital gains as in 4 above?

Mark