Buying and selling stock

Daniel Tudosie dtudosie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:09:39 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

About step 4 (when you sell the shares) - just making sure, perhpas
this is already true in your setup :
- I think you'll have to set the Assets:Stock account to be of type
stock; I know you can set the commodity of the account to a certain
stock (that you can define through the commodity editor); but I;m not
sure how (and if) you can use the same account for different stocks
(as I suppose you buy/sell differents stocks) - perhaps someone with
more experience can help here...
   This way you can keep track of the number of shares that you have
and only change the price (that will give you the capital gain);
   e.g when you buy 100 sh at 1/sh then you'll have 100 shares to stock
account with the total share cost of 100 (the amount credited from
Assets:Brokerage)

> 3. Buy stock
>
> Assets:Stock 100 sh @ 1/sh       100
>   Assets:Brokerage                     100
> Expenses:Commission                1
>   Assets:Brokerage                       1

but when you sell the 100 shares at 1.10/sh, you'll have 0 shares in
stock account and a debit in the Assets:Brokerage account of 110

> 4. Sell stock with gain on sale at 1.10/sh

 Assets:Brokerage                 110
   Assets:Stock -100 sh @ 1.10/sh          0

(otherwise I don't see where the gain came from...)

> Assets:Brokerage                 10
>   Income:Capital Gains                 8.90
> Expenses:Commisions              1
>   Assets:Brokerage                     1
> Expenses:SEC Fee                 .10
>   Assets:Brokerage                    .10

also, I'm not sure about the rest of the transactions but perhaps they
are correct)

> For a lot, do I have enter a separate sale at each
> original price, adding in capital gains as in 4 above?

A possibility would be to create a scheduled transaction that contains
all the above transactions (and use formulas for the basic components
e.g. number of shares, buy price, sell price) - or two
sched-transactions (one for the transactions that you do when you buy
the shares, and one for the transactions that you do when you sell the
shares)

> Mark

HTH
Daniel