command line (was Thanks GNUCash)

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Jul 13 04:04:21 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 12 Jul 2005 22:51, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:
> > 1. Users' data files can get seriously large - loading the entire data
> > file into a CLI could take as long as loading the file in an already open
> > GUI, which defeats the main objective of the CLI - speed.
>
> I dont think that loading the data is necessarily the bottleneck here.  I
> think it's module loading and then report generation and display that takes
> the vast majority of load-time.

Subjectively, I agree here.  Report generation seems to take forever, relative
to the time the splash screen progress bar shows data loading.

How about a --dont-build-reports flag to the GUI, giving a "quickstart"
effect?  Without knowing much about coding, it doesn't seem to me that that
would be particularly hard to patch in.

Just a thought.  But the ability to ssh in to my box when I'm away and do some
quick'n'dirty entry could be useful...

Maf.