[gnucash] ATM/POS cards

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Jun 17 11:28:20 EDT 2005

Mike wrote:

>On Friday 17 June 2005 02:33 am, Bob Alexander wrote:
>

>>Would there be any problem if I scrap the ATM card account and just
>>enter an "ATM withdrawal" charge on my checkings account with a transfer
>>to my cash account ? Sounds a lot simpler !
>>

>An ATM transaction is nothing more than a "paperless" check and should be
>treated as such with proper notation on the entry to identify to whom the
>"check" was made.  Example:   (vendor)ACME Co. ATM withdrawal or simply ATM
>Cash Withdrawal.   It doesn't seem necessary to go through the additional
>steps to transfer money from one account to another as you have been doing.
>
>I have a single ATM account and all of my credits/debits to that account show
>up in my reports.  Helps to keep track of how much cash is slipping in and
>out of that ATM card slot :)
>
>Mike Zulkoski

I go a step further, I'll treat my ATM/Debit check card transactions as
a check but I'll type in "Debit" where the check number goes. This is a
big help when I reconcil at end of month, as you can sort by check #
then date, so all my "Debit"s are together all of my checks are all
together and my On-Line bill payments are together as EFT.

Just my .02 :-)

Scott Castaline