categorizing

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jun 18 06:05:19 EDT 2005

On Saturday 18 Jun 2005 09:10, Beth Leonard wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:50:01PM -0600, Matt Funk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i was wondering whether gnucash has the capability to cross reference
> > rather than just a hierarchical structure.
> > What i mean is this. Say i have 2 expense accounts. One is called Car and
> > the other House.
> > Say now that under both i have an account called Insurance.
> >
> > Is there any way in gnucash to give me all the account called insurance?
>
> To the best of my knowledge there is no current way to do this, you
> have to re-parent the accounts as needed.

Hi,

Or use the transaction report.  With Beth's suggested account tree ( copied
below), you can set a transaction report to give you total expenditure in
say, expenses:car:* or expenses:*:insurance.  Sure, you have to manually go
through and set the report up to only show those expense accounts, but it
will achieve what you want, IMHO. (and you can break the expense down by
month, or whatever)

If you don't close the report, then it will re-generate every time you re-open
that data file.

> So, do this: (recommended)
>   Expenses:Car:Car Insurance
>   Expenses:Car:Gas