categorizing

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Mon Jun 20 11:34:34 EDT 2005

Matt Funk <mafunk at nmsu.edu> writes:

> i was wondering whether gnucash has the capability to cross
> reference rather than just a hierarchical structure. What i mean is
> this. Say i have 2 expense accounts. One is called Car and the other
> House. Say now that under both i have an account called Insurance.
>
> Is there any way in gnucash to give me all the account called insurance?

I have an Insurance account under both Auto and Home. As Maf said, you
can always use a transaction report to get your total insurance
payments.

By the way, my Auto account is structured like this:

Expenses
  Auto
    Car 1
      Parts
      Service
    Car 2
      Parts
      Service
    Fuel
    Insurance
    License
    Registration

Note that there is only one Insurance account because there isn't any
point (for me) in splitting up my insurance bill. Likewise, I have
single license and registration accounts since I just need a simple
sum of the former for tax deduction purposes.

Think about a) how you will use the data and b) how to minimize the
work of entering the data.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD