Rebate ... what does it mean ?

Kevin T. Broderick kbroderick at smcvt.edu
Tue Jun 21 13:47:00 EDT 2005

On 21 Jun 2005, at 7:57 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Bob Alexander <bob at ngi.it>:
>

>> I entered an expense my wife has done with her VISA card in the
>> Liabilities - Wife VISA account and charged it to the
>> Expense:Personal
>> account. In the latter it appears in the "Rebate" column. What is the
>> meaning of this ?
>>
>> I suspect it has to do with the VISA still not having charged my bank
>> account ...
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Bob
>>

> Um, most likely it means that you mixed up Debits and Credits.

To expand on Derek's answer just a bit, an entry into an expense
account is either an expense or a rebate with the "friendly" column
names turned on.  A credit to an expense account means money is
flowing *into* the account from another account (usually an asset
account such as checking or a liability such as  a Visa card) and
appears in the "Expense" column; when you buy a book and charge it to
your Visa, you'd debit the Visa liability account (a "charge") and
credit the "Expenses:Books" account (an expense).  If you then get a
manufacturer's rebate on the book that arrives as a check (hey, they
do 'em on everything else now), you'd most likely debit the expense
account (a "rebate") and credit your assets:checks on hand account.

What you have most likely done, if your normal expense appears in the
rebates column of the expense register, is mistakenly entered a
credit against the Liabilities-Wife Visa account and a debit against
Expense:Personal, indicating that money is flowing from the
Expense:Personal account to the Liabilities:Wife Visa account.  It's
rather easy to do if you get at all distracted while entering a
transaction, and I've found this to be one of the better reasons to
reconcile my gnucash records against paper statements each month.

Kevin Broderick / kbroderick at smcvt.edu